IKEA : Wonderful Kitchens Everyday
The launch of the new METOD kitchen range was a huge focus for IKEA. This was the first innovation to their Kitchen offering in 10 years and it was vital that we generated real excitement to encourage reappraisal of the IKEA proposition and ultimately drive sales. Quality and versatility were areas of concern which needed to be addressed.
Two challenges existed:
- 1) We knew that the kitchen buying process is complicated and customers find it difficult to understand and commit to their kitchen purchase. Our campaign needed to show this versatility & simplicity of the new IKEA METOD range.
2) Competition had become more intense, with the number of small independents growing. We needed to cut through the clutter and behave differently to ensure we won our potential customers’ attention.
Our Approach & Implementation
A new TV ad was going to be developed and it would undoubtedly be outstanding, but we needed to find a way to go beyond the normal interest generated from IKEA TV creative and really bring the METOD (kitchen) campaign to life. We needed to create something special that would generate excitement and get people talking.
A dual strategy was developed to do just that;
1) Demonstrate IKEA’s insight into everyday life in the kitchen and how this is part of ‘The Wonderful Everyday’ (the IKEA brand proposition)
- AV (TV, VOD & YouTube) was used to land the proposition of ‘The Wonderful Everyday’ through the lens of METOD.
2) Illustrate the breadth of range and quality showcasing how IKEA can solve everyday problems for all (via the lens of METOD)- Outdoor highlighted the range and facebook delivered tactical reminders
- Targeted press reached those with an interest in a new kitchen
- We created a one a kind false listing on myhome.ie. Users could click in to a listing that showed up in search results and view different IKEA rooms in the house including the (METOD) kitchen.
- Our microsite was further supported by HPTO’s, an e-zine to 60,604 MyHome.ie customers and display units
- We leveraged our IKEA Owned & Earned assets to boost the campaign impact;
IKEA FAMILY Programme raised the profile of our new range with a newsletter to our loyal customers, asking them to tell us about their kitchen challenges and offering them an opportunity to win a new kitchen.
IKEA Website offered kitchen inspiration, details of services and also promoted IKEA Kitchen Planner, to make the purchase journey simpler.
IKEA Facebook provided reminders of the new range and drove high levels of engagement with a follow up competition reminder to the loyal IKEA Family members.
IKEA Pinterest delivered further Kitchen inspiration
We partnered up with TV3 to deliver long term product placement, IKEA programme content and a live €10,000 kitchen giveaway.
We delivered an integrated package that allowed us to showcase the new range in an editorial segment on Ireland AM. We then followed up with a 360° promotion running across the breadth of TV3 assets and the IKEA owned assets.
- Average weekly Kitchen sales increased by +21%
- Spontaneous awareness increased by +16% (22% better than the previous Kitchens campaign)
- The multi-platform promotion delivered excellent results:
- Over 4,500 competition entries
- Our Facebook page gained 8,345 new likes over just 4 weeks
- We reached 325,828 newsfeeds
- And the campaign was talked about; 838 post shares and 406 post comments
“The METOD campaign was a huge success for the whole IKEA business with sales seeing a significant uplift. The partnership with TV3 really brought the campaign together and we were delighted with the outstanding value delivered.”
Vala Magnadottir IKEA Marketing Manager UK&I